Our Catholic Identity
Stonehill’s Founders and Sponsor
The priests and brothers of the Congregation of Holy Cross founded Stonehill in 1948. Since the congregation’s founding by Blessed Basil Moreau education has been one of the congregation’s principal works. In fact, the congregation describes its members as educators in the faith in its rule of life called the Constitutions.
Holy Cross at Stonehill Today
Ten members of the Congregation share in the mission of Stonehill today as administrators, faculty members and campus ministers. Rev. Mark T. Cregan, C.S.C. '78 is the eighth Holy Cross priest to serve as Stonehill’s president. In addition, twelve members of the congregation serve the college as members of its Board of Trustees; four of whom are Stonehill Alumni.
A majority of the Holy Cross priests and brothers live adjacent to campus in the residences surrounding the Barn. At the center of this residential complex is the Chapel of Our Lady of Holy Cross, a former milking barn, where the community gathers for its common prayer. Four priests live in residence halls on campus to serve the needs of our students.
Holy Cross in Higher Education
In addition to Stonehill College, the Congregation of Holy Cross founded and continues to sponsor three universities and two colleges in the United States: the University of Notre Dame; St. Edward’s University (sponsored by the Moreau Province); University of Portland; King’s College and Holy Cross College.